Thursday, March 31, 2016

Stallholder profile Nutty Koala

Todays stallholder profile is Nutty Koala

Your name: Gayle Lemmon
Your business name:
Nutty Koala 

The suburb/town you live in now: 
Kewarra Beach, Cairns
What is it that you make and what skills do you use?:
Hand sewn babies & children's wear for both girls and boys from birth to 3 years.  Skirts, various styles of dresses, shorts, button-up shirts, ruffled rompers, playsuits, overalls, baby shoes, and l also create cot size quilts.   I use an embroidery machine and hand make embellishments that adorn some of these garments. The patterns that l use are all my own as l have a certificate in pattern making for children's wear. 

 
What inspired you to start your business?
My love of sewing which began at a very young age that started with creating dolls clothes, then l had my own children in which l extended my talent into making outfit for my girls. I now  also sew for my 2 grand daughters and occasionally for my 3 grandsons.

How long have you been creating? 
50 years l have been sewing, which has ranged from creating my own clothes, curtains, doona covers, quilts, baby accessories as gifts for family and friends.
Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: 
I would love this to be a full time business but as l help to run my husbands business, it has to be part time.
Where do you sell your creations?  
I sell through my facebook page and The Handmade Expo and Vintage Market in Cairns.
 
What makes you so special or different?: 
I like to do things different to other people, l take into consideration of who l am creating for such as little people need simplicity when it comes to clothing, the easier it is to dress a child the happier everyone is. Some times 'Less is More', as too many ruffles, buttons etc.....can be frustrating for a child when learning to dress themselves. l also love making my own embellishments such as bows and fabric flowers that makes my outfits unique.


What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: 
Seeing my customers children wearing my outfits, and returning to buy more of my outfits.
What is your favourite product to make?: 
Ruffled rompers, dresses and cute girly outfits.


Do you teach classes or workshops?: 
No, as l barely have enough time to do what l want to do now, but hopefully  one day l will have some time to pass on my creative skills to others.

No comments: