Saturday, June 21, 2014

Todays artist profile is Lillian Black Retro Fashions

We welcome a new stallholder to Ipswich.
Tanya from Lillian Black Retro Fashions

Name: Tanya de Vere

Business name: Lillian Black Retro Fashions

The suburb/town: Forest Lake

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? 
I make clothes for children and women and household accessories. I use both machine and hand sewing to create sweet and different styles


What inspired you to start your business? 
I have loved sewing since I was little, when my little girl came along I used my talents to make her cute retro styled clothing, Family and friends encouraged me to sell my clothing and a few months ago I searched high and low for a white blouse with no luck. That's when I decided that their must be more mothers like me who wanted clothes like this for their daughters 

How long have you been ‘creating’? 
My Grandmother taught me to sew when I was just 5, I began to create my own clothing and designs when I was n my teens

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? 
At the moment it is a full time hobby but I'm hoping to turn it into a full time business

Where do you sell your creations?  
So far I've only made  clothes for friends, family and people who were recommended by family. The Handmade Expo will be my first market, My friend tells me that your market is the best place for handmade items and a great place to start

What makes what you do special or different? 
My partner and I are into the rockabilly scene and my daughter wants to be a part of it as well but I found that what's available is often not right or looks more like a costume than clothes I also found that there wasn't a lot of traditional styles and colours available for women's clothes which was what I was looking for 

What is the most rewarding part of what you do? 
I love seeing the pieces come together working hard to create something beautiful, something that makes people smile and feel great. Mostly I love when people love what I have made them


What is your favourite product that you make? 
That's a tough one I love a little dress that I make that I call the Sunday Best Dress. I've recently revamped it a little and I just think its beautiful. I also love my owl doorstops, everyone seems to have their own little personality, They make me smile.


No comments: